Videography services are foremost among photographic disciplines which have progressed by leaps and bounds along with the incredible advancements in technology. Not only have still and video cameras become more sophisticated yet user-friendly, but recorded images are so easily shared with and/or published to a world-wide and ever-growing audience.
There are always good reasons for clichés being true: “A picture tells a thousand words.” There could not be a more accurate description of exactly what good videography services provide. Humans are multi-sensory beings, and often either the audio or visual sense dominates. Video format addresses both, especially for those who are unable to visualise.
Commercial uses include material for corporate companies, training and safety procedures, live events, seminars and sales presentations, TV, retail centre and cinema advertising, weddings, music and live web casting.
This format is a highly effective marketing, company image and branding tool, and an excellent medium to explain product features, benefits and operation. Humans tend to absorb what they consciously see.
Many different functions and skills are involved in production of good quality and content, and many of these can be specialised occupations on their own merit.
- Camera work/filming, which is detailed artistic work, including research, focus, generating and maintaining interest in the subject, lighting, composition and a keen eye for detail.
- Script – a good writing ability and the imagination to produce a cohesive script which enhances the film, its main subject and interesting peripherals.
- Sound recording, because generally, built-in camera sound recorders are not able to provide the required audio quality, so the use of separate equipment becomes necessary.
- Voice-over recordings produce far better script and sound standards.
- Editing of film to maximise visual and emotional impact, maintain maximum interest of viewers, and quality of images, will produce the best product.
- If working on commission for a client, the videographer will also give the client the opportunity to have input prior to final production.
- The package is likely to include graphic design and production of labels and packaging of the completed product.
- Clients may require duplication or multiple copies.
Travel and Wildlife Videography
Although the mere mention of travel and wildlife evokes some of those magical images seen on TV and in nature and travel magazines, these fields are specialised and require hard work, long hours and lots of patience and commitment. This is not to deny that being in the right place at the right time often produces amazing results from both professionals and amateurs.
A sound technical ability and understanding of equipment is vital for both of these disciplines, particularly for wildlife photography, where largely unpredictable animal behaviour and conditions occur. An eye for detail, keen powers of observation and some artistic ability assist the videographer in capturing interesting footage.
Before undertaking a trip to record wonderful and spellbinding places or nature, research and lots of it, should be done. The aim is not only capturing worthwhile footage, but making it as interesting and arresting as possible. This also involves having the outlines of a script, so that both the images and the pictures tell a story.
A good general knowledge assists in research and script compilation. A passion for travel is essential and a background in the travel and tourism industry would also be handy, especially in order for the videographer to market his/her services and skills.
Particularly in tough economic times, there is a great demand for travel film material, since agents seek new and innovative tourism markets. According to one source, about 60% of travel decisions are made after the tourist has viewed films of the chosen destination. Such footage may cover places of geographical, historic, cultural, adventure, camping and ecological interest.
Successful wildlife documentaries require field craft, research of animal behaviour and habitat, and plenty of patience, since animals are skittish by nature and their habits are influenced by many extraneous conditions, like weather, perceived danger, season and time of day. The cameraman should not be seen, smelled or heard.
The provision of good quality videography services should not merely be seen as a way to have a holiday in exotic, faraway places at someone else’s expense. It takes hard work, long hours and time away from home, and finely honed skills, but the satisfaction of having produced a quality product of interest to many, outweighs any negative factors.
- 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider - January 18, 2021
- SEO Link Building Tips and Techniques - January 18, 2021
- Actors Are So Overrated - January 17, 2021